"Barrymore" - Landmark Beachfront Residence Enriched with History
Set on 1698sqm block overlooking the Pacific Ocean and golden sands of local beaches. Built in 1873 by the Merewether family as their beach house, this is one of Australia's grandest homes. This unique residence proudly stands on the cliff with views of the ocean, beaches and cityscape.
The home has many outstanding features such as marble fireplaces, entertaining rooms, high patterned ceilings, polished floors, leadlight windows, timber windows and doors, beautiful carved staircase, ultra-modern kitchen with granite bench tops and Italian tile floor, telephone room, study, 4 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms, formal lounge and dining rooms, cellar and wrap around verandahs.
There is a family room opening to in-ground pool, beautiful grounds and garaging for 2 cars plus loads of off street parking. There is also a 1 bedroom self-contained flat with bathroom and living area. This property is truly a priceless part of Newcastle's history, and is a once in a lifetime opportunity to own this prestigious address.
History of the Residence:
'Barrymore' was originally built by the Merewether's and known alternatively as 'The Sandhills' and 'Brynhfryd'. Anecdotal evidence suggests that it was built as a summer house for the young Merewether family who would escape from the 'Ridge' (Hillcrest House) and enjoy the beach. At the time (late 19th century) it was a fairly arduous trip from the Ridge to the beach, especially with young children.
Edward Christopher Merewether was the General Manager of the Burwood Estate, founder of the Merewether Estate, and married D S Mitchell's eldest daughter. The land on which 'Barrymore' sits is part of the original 456 acre land grant made to A.W Scott prior to 1835.
The house was in the Victorian Regency style, with two storey smooth textured masonry walling. Subtle projections such as hood vents and mouldings over flat arch windows add emphasis to facade features. Medium pitched roof with corrugated roof sheeting, French windows, and double hung small pane windows. Timber framed balcony with multiple timber posts on pillars support the roof and colonnade also reflected at ground level.
Built in 1873 by Merewether Estate, and mentioned in EC Merewether's personal correspondence 8/1/1875. In 1912 it was sold to Richard Daniel Barry of Sydney, a well-known sportsman and businessman who died in 1916. Owned by estate of the late R J Barry until 1919. Kilgour Avenue was originally named Reuss Street after the first surveyor of Merewether.
For further information, contact your selling agent George Rafty.